Museum Lambert van MeertenOude Delft 199 2611 HD Delft www.lambertvanmeerten-delft.nl
None of the objects in this museum have problematic provenance.
Result of this investigation
Delft municipal museums department investigated the provenance of Huis Lambert van Meerten’s collection. Its building was completed in 1893 and given to the Dutch state in 1907 on condition it would be used as a museum, which it was in 1909 with the appointment of its first director. Its acquisitions budget was at first small and most new objects came from gifts. Gradually the museum developed into a centre for ceramics. Most acquisitions made between 1933 and 1954 and later were tiles and tile panels without individually identifiable characteristics and therefore not relevant to the present investigation. In 1947, Delft’s Prinsenhof Museum took over the management of the museum, while the collection remained property of the state. In 1987, the state transferred ownership of the building to Delft municipality and the collection was given on permanent loan. Only part of the collection is registered.
About this museum and its collection
The museum possesses a collection of objects accumulated by industrialist Lambert van Meerten. Besides the extensive tile collection, the museum also presents Delft pottery, Chinese and Japanese porcelain, silver, furniture, woodcarvings and paintings. The museum is currently renovating and is closed to the public.